1) In a world where you can be anything, be kind.
It doesn’t take anything away from you to be nice to another person. Bullies aren’t cool. Making others feel small isn’t cool. This was probably the teacher in her – seeing students pick on others throughout the years. This world is cruel enough, let’s not add to it.
2) Mind your manners.
For never doing cotillion, my manners aren’t too shabby. It was always yes mam, no sir, say thank you, and when you’re a guest in someone’s home treat it better than your own. Bring a hostess gift, write a thank you note (errr…I have about five of these I need to get going on),
and always strip your sheets before you leave.
3) Mom. The Meatloaf. My favorite thing to cook, and still my favorite dinner to eat. Our meatloaf recipe has been passed down from my grandmother and it will kick your meatloaf’s butt. I guarantee it.
4) We’re not good at math. And we know it. When it came to any other subject, I was pushed to go above and beyond my limits. We didn’t know any letter lower than A. Math? Just do the best you can. That’s not our strong suit and we’re okay with it. Knowing your weaknesses? Also important.
5) Always make your bed first. We have moved A LOT. Like, over twenty times. I am an excellent packer, and I own very little. The anti-hoarder if you will. After moving that many times you learn that unpacking all of your dishes on the first day doesn’t get you anywhere unless you have clean sheets and somewhere to lay your head. (Just make sure you label the wine glasses for easy access as step two.)
6) A shower can change your life. Bad day? Go shower. Tired? Go shower. Want to hurt someone? Go shower. Water can have a very calming ability, and a little lavender bath scrub doesn’t hurt either.
7) It’s okay to not be okay. But it’s not okay to stay that way. We all have those moments of complete freak out when we think that the world is going to end. It’s okay to cry about it. But then you need to move on. No one thing or no one person is worth getting you down. Move on.
8) Everything is better with cheese. We’re French. I don’t know what else to tell you. Throw a little stinky cheese on those veggies and they’re the best thing you’ve ever tasted. Number eight is why my dairy allergy is extremely hard for me nowadays. My blood is mostly made of Brie.
9) Your lifelong friends you will be able to count on one hand. They will continue to change through life – after college, after marriage, after children, and so on. There will be the ones that fall off, the ones that fall in, and the ones that stick around for the long haul. But the ones that will come running will remain on those five fingers.
10) I’ll always be here. If you need to, you can always come home. My mom has never made me feel alone, and for that, I will always be thankful.
Cheers to Mother’s Day, Momma.
To receive 20% off of your Mother’s Day bouquet, use the code XOPAULARALLIS with Bouqs!